Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • Joop Geesinkweg 841, 1114 AB 
  • clients[at]lawyersnetherlands.com
  • +31630863933
Our Articles

Set Up a HORECA Company in the Netherlands

Set Up a HORECA Company in the Netherlands

Tourism is one of the engines of the Dutch economy, as travel agencies and hotels report increasing number of visitors annually. Foreign investors who want to create businesses in tourism can set up HORECA companies which offer several services under the umbrella of the same venture.

HORECA stands for hotel, restaurant, café and foreign enterprisers are invited to set up this type activity in some of the most important Dutch cities where significant incomes can be earned. HORECA companies are governed by the same regulations as any other type of business in the food and accommodation industry.

Our company registration consultants in the Netherlands can explain the requirements for setting up a HORECA business.

Company registration in the Dutch HORECA sector

Setting up a HORECA business implies registering a company with the Netherlands Trade Registrar following which several licenses must be obtained. In the case of foreign investors, a residence permit is required before starting the company incorporation process.

Also, for those setting up hotels by building new constructions, a construction permit is also required. However, there is also the possibility of buying and remodeling an existing building.

Following that, the hygiene and food safety regulations must be complied with.

Our Dutch company formation agents can assist with the registration of the HORECA company.

Special licenses for operating a HORECA business in the Netherlands

There are several licenses which must be obtained when creating a HORECA company in the Netherlands. Among these are:

  • –          the food and drink license issued by the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority;
  • –          the beverage license issued for selling alcoholic beverages;
  • –          the terrace permit, if the hotel has a terrace which will be used for serving food;
  • –          a music performance license, if the company will play music on the premises.

HORECA companies in the Netherlands must also pay attention to the employment regulations for this type of business, as these are different in the case of food handlers.

For full information on the requirements for starting a HORECA business, please feel free to contact our company registration advisors in the Netherlands.